3GPP Long Term Evolution--Higher Throughput
Specifically, LTE offers the following:
- Low latency and high throughput
- Efficient always-on operation, with instantaneous access to network resources
- Support for real-time and non-real-time applications
- Flexible spectrum allocations
- Re-use of existing cell site infrastructure
- High spectrum efficiency for unicast, multicast and broadcast data
Since LTE does not meet the requirements for 4G, an enhanced version called LTE Advanced is under development.
The main competitor to LTE is WiMAX which is being rolled out to cover the "last mile" connectivity. In this article the author outlines the race to between LTE and WiMAX.