Thursday, January 05, 2006

Welcome to Emerging Technologies for Virtual Instrumentation—Year 2006

I hope you had a great holiday. Mine was quite nice. We drove to Dallas to see my family and then on to Kansas to see my wife’s family. As we begin a new year, I want to take a moment and thank those who sent comments and questions to me over the past year related to Emerging Technologies. I always appreciate hearing from those who are working on new and innovative areas.

For those who are new to this blog, I work for National Instruments and investigate emerging technologies and how they relate to Virtual Instrumentation. For those who ask what is an emerging technology, Wharton defines it as “a science-based innovation with the potential to create a new industry or transform an existing industry." There are many exciting innovations going on in the computer, electronics, life science, software, and consumer industries. All of these have an impact on virtual instrumentation. I listed a number of these technologies in the banner at the top of this page. Unfortunately, the character count limitation does not allow me to list all technologies, but watch this blog and you’ll see a host of new technologies that may impact your business or application.

In the coming year you’ll see posts on Measurement Systems, Advanced Sensing, Wireless Sensors, Optical Sensing, Digital Signal Processing, Electronic “Nose Technology”, MRI, Developments in Telemetry, Wireless Technologies and Techniques, Mesh Networks—Software, Microwave, Sensor Arrays, Advanced Controls, Predictive Controls, and MEMS Technologies to name just a few.

If you have a topic you think I should cover, please contact me. Also, we hold a meeting once a year in Austin, Texas, during NI Week for those who want to discuss emerging technologies. During NI Week, we provide several sessions on various technical topics with scientists, engineers, and others. I invite you to join us at the upcoming NI Week in August of this year.
With that I wish you a happy New Year.

Best regards,
Hall T.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home